Sunday, May 22, 2011

And One More Door Closes

I am officially through with Precision Prosthetics & Orthotics. I first started in 07 and minus summers have been there ever since. And while I love the people I work with--they are truly lovely--I have never been more excited to close one door in my life.
On Friday we had my goodbye lunch, which due to an overload of patients meant that we pretty much ate in shifts and only overlapped by about 10 or 15 minutes. Oh well. We went to Wonderful House, which has the BEST chicken fried rice you will ever eat. However, do not get too attached because I plan on marrying it. If I ever decide to settle down and commit, that is. Who knows.
Anyway, I have more news. I was asked to adopt another soldier--and because I truly feel down to my bones that this program is a good one and because I feel that I have the time and energy to devote to yet another--I said yes. And now I have a CPL, in the Army, in Taskforce Spartan at FOB Ramrod in Afghanistan. Yep, I have my first soldier from Afghanistan and that means I will worry twice as much. Anyway, I emailed him and got my first response! I have his first care package all ready to send out--although it was hard to choose because he is fairly remote. Not so remote that he doesn't have internet access, obviously, but I don't know how often he gets to use it. And no one I knew could tell me about FOB Ramrod. So we shall see.
And that makes 4 in my family of Soldiers!
So now I will be cleaning, organizing, and packing in the coming week to get ready to head back to PA and my 6th summer at Bryn Mawr. Soooooo excited to be there and to be able to have 4 Soldiers to share it with--it really isn't fair because they are like a hostage throughout this! They will be forced to listen to all my camp stories. And because I am making the move to Senior Camp I am sure they will listen to all my fears and frustrations too. I feel a little bad about that--not enough not to write though!
On a happy note, it very much looks like my boys will be coming with me to Montana so I won't have to say goodbye just yet.

2 comments:

MelissaS said...

Enjoy your summer!

I asked my dad about FOB Ramrod (he was in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., from 03-06) and he didn't think it was there when he was in Afghanistan 03/04. He did say it was near Kandahar, though (but you probably googled it and saw that).

Question for you: once you adopted one soldier did the program start approaching you to adopt more? What does it entail? Who do you do it through?

Jessie said...

Thanks, Melissa! I have been in touch with my new soldier twice now--he was able to tell me a little bit about Ramrod.

I will do a post about the program and tell you more!

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.