Sunday, February 01, 2009

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I've been having an F. Scott Fitzgerald month. I finished Tender Is the Night a couple days ago and have started The Beautiful and Damned. I currently have no plans to stop reading his books until I'm finished--I have already read The Great Gatsby and The Other Side of Paradise.

My impression of Tender Is the Night was pretty positive, but I am really digging The Beautiful and Damned. He explains more and doesn't make me guess as much, which I am completely into. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Tender Is the Night, but that 'lyrical prose' gets old after a while.

I love how everyone in his books jaunts off to Europe and stays there for an indefinite period. He makes it sound like for Americans the world is a big sandbox--which is both a completely horrible idea and a great one, depending on how egotistical you're feeling. I almost envy that thought process, but of course I'd do it a little differently once I was there.

Listen to Grant Lee Phillip's Mona Lisa sometime. I have linked it to F. Scott Fitzgerald's work in my mind somehow, and has been my song of the month.

On a completely unrelated topic, I have begun playing Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360, which is basically what it sounds like. I am a girl wandering around the post-apocolyptic world of D.C. I always come home with the best games after I've visited Brandt.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.