Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My New Nephew

My new nephew was born at precisely 1:45 this morning--on the living room couch. Yep, it was an experience, one that was a bit more up-close-and-personal than I had originally planned, but I guess it all ended up ok.
Kat went into labor at about 10:30 last night, contractions every 5 minutes steadily, so she and Kurt headed to the hospital. I went to bed and woke up to them coming in at 12:30--the doctor sent Kat home, saying she wasn't dilated enough. An hour later, out came the baby. By the time the contractions got real bad, it was too late.
I was dozing, thinking any minute they'd say they were off to the hospital. Instead, I was hurtled into wakefulness with the pronouncement "His head is coming out!" Yikes. Not something I wanted to hear at that moment. Kurt called 911 and they were here within five minutes, which was good, because his head was out by the time they walked in the door. I called Mom and Dad and they were able to hear the whole thing over the cell phone--and Mom about passed out right after he was born.
I stood in the back with the cell phone and the firefighters who were there and tried not to see over the arm of the couch. It was enough to be in the room when I hadn't planned on it, I didn't need to see anything.
Kat did really well. The Dula was here with us, and she was amazing. She was here to help with labor pains, not to do a delivery! I guess we all got a little more excitement than we bargained for.
All in all, it was about 4 hours of labor. Holy buckets.
They loaded Kat and the baby on the stretcher and headed out in the ambulance. I stayed with Kaelan, who mercifully didn't wake up at all--that kid could sleep through an air raid and a tornado. He would have been pretty terrified, so I'm glad he stayed asleep.
We went in this morning and Kat is feeling good, tired, but not too sore. The baby, who I am pretty sure will be designated Kameron--not sure on the spelling, so don't quote that--is also good. He's a cutie, with a really big nose. His head is very nicely shaped, not too flattened or coned. He does have a bit of an eye infection, whether from coming out onto a towel or just because, no one knows.
Kaelan was happy to meet his little brother, and promptly gave him the Transformer name Blackout. I am Barricade, Kaelan is Bumblebee, Kurt is Megatron, and Kat is Optimus Prime.
Welcome to the family, Blackout.

1 comment:

MelissaS said...

What a crazy story! I am glad everything (besides being at home!) went smoothly. And that mom, baby, (and all that witnessed it) are doing well.
–Melissa (Justin's wife)

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.