Friday, February 22, 2008

Writing Snob

I have come to the unlikeable conclusion that I am a writing snob. Or just really really picky. Either way, it isn't good.
I went to another writer's group meeting last night at the library, and I was all excited to have it be as small as before so that we could have some good talks about writing. What we found worked for us, tips and helpful hints, etc. I even brought some more of my stuff, so I can put my book out of my mind for a little while.
Instead, the annoying one, the Top 5-er in the entire world, brought 8 more people just like him. I guess it is true that birds of a feather flock together. I never would have guessed it. To make a long story short, the entire hour and a half was monopolized by teeny-bopper romance stories set in junior high school or, and I quote, "The Next Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter!"
And I'm still a snob about it. I guess once I've admitted it, I can embrace it, eh? Seriously, it was awful! I tried to listen and critique at first, but then I just got more and more annoyed that they were all the same. All the same. And no new topic was introduced the entire time. It was a complete and utter takeover.
To be fair, some of their stuff wasn't bad. And they aren't shy about sharing it, good or bad, so that's good. Except if you're listening to it.
Anyway, I stopped even trying to pay attention half way through and actually got some good stuff going on my book. I think I can push through the part I'm stuck on. Anyway, the point is that I realized I don't want to be at just any writing group. I want one with the same outlook as me, where we can discuss interesting things. And I suppose if I were in a bigger area I might find another one. Sadly, I'll just have to deal. I don't know if I'm going back next month if last night was any indication.
I guess I'm just a writing snob and no real help for it. And at least they didn't concentrate on me the whole night.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.