Saturday, October 24, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are

We took Kaelan to see Where the Wild Things Are today...and I have one major gripe with the movie. I loved the book as a kid...the very idea of Max escaping his punishment by going on this amazing adventure where the Wild Things live and being crowned their king is so cool. And in the end, he comes home because he's done. They had a great time--their wild rumpus took them on all sorts of adventures--but after the Wild Things go to sleep, Max goes home.

In the movie...well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but suffice it to say that there is not much happy about this version. I really did like how they brought the Wild Things to life. Their wild rumpus was very believable. But why did they have to be so...disfunctional? They were supposed to be uncivilized in a good way! Wild but not burdened with the problems that face us on a day to day basis. I guess you could argue both sides of the coin. They were very human-like in their emotions and feelings which means they were relatable.

I guess what it all comes down to is that when I finish the book Where the Wild Things Are, I never cry. In the movie, I bawled. It just isn't supposed to be sad. It is supposed to be happy and leave your imagination all fired up for your own wild rumpus. And it isn't quite the kid's story it should have been.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.