Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Job

I was determined not to work retail again.
I was just getting my resume all whipped into shape, when my brother called me and said he'd found me an interview. I was naturally suspicious--you never know what someone else might think you'd like, after all. However, I was hired that evening and started my first day this morning.
I work for Precision Prosthetics and Orthotics now, as a receptionist. So far, that means I'm a glorified answering machine and really horrid coffee maker. However, I will be trained in the insurance and medical billing end of things soon, so that is good. It is all a little overwhelming so far, but I know that I'll get the hang of it soon.
Kamil, my boss, is from Czechoslovakia but when I first met him I would have sworn he was from Tibet or Nepal. He looks like a Sherpa, and not in a demeaning way, he just looks like that is where he is from. Turns out his father is Tibetan. His English is good but he has a very marked accent and sometimes you have to listen closely. He has an extremely interesting job, though, and we have already had many a conversation about it. He makes all the prosthetics right there in the office, so the lab areas are cool. I gather I'm the first receptionist he's had to take an interest in the job. He has only been open since the end of August, so we are still trying to get everything organized. We only have about 5 patients, but the one I met today was so nice. I like the level of comfort that was there. She was obviously very used to being there and very used to working with Kamil and the other receptionist. It reminded me of being in PT with Brace for that year.
So other than feeling like I don't know what the heck I'm doing, I think I'm going to enjoy this job. Much better than Waldenbooks! My head hurts a bit from all the thinking...
I also get to use my English degree, as Kamil has me writing drafts of letters for him. So that is interesting.
All in all, the speed with which it all came together was remarkable.
Here's hoping my second day is as good as my first.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Congrats on the job! Isn't it nice to have an interest in what you are working at? I hope the 2nd day was awesome!

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.