Saturday, November 24, 2007

Hurry Up and Wait

I got my critique back--Thanksgiving night, no less. Do those people ever stop working? Anyway, it pretty much enforced what I already knew about my grammar, spelling, and punctuation. No areas to work on. They told me it was really nice to read a polished manuscript. Also, they told me that I have a wonderful grasp on how to make it easier for a person to read my book, the way I break up my paragraphs, etc.
The dialogue! I have always wondered about my dialogue, however, they told me it is sharp and witty and shows my characters instead of me having to tell about them. So again, no changes necessary.
The plot is apparently interesting and well-written, so I guess I can keep forging ahead with that.
I have to write a synopsis, which I already knew, because a good synopsis will take me forever to write and I just banged one out for them. They enjoyed what I had written, but it was too short. I need at least a page, preferably longer. That won't be easy to write, but I have some good tips on it now and I think I can get one that's respectable enough.
Anyway, the overall consensus is that my book is solidly written and stands a good chance to be picked up by a publishing house somewhere without many more changes to it right now. So we are moving forward into the marketing phase of things.
However, I wrote my agent back and said that I have to finish the book! That might take a little bit longer. According to whoever did my critique, though, I might want to look into turning my book into two books, as it is too long right now. I don't know what to do about that. I guess I'll wait and see what the editors think.
This whole process has gone so unbelievably fast so far! And now we enter the period where everything is wait, wait, wait. They told me to expect at least 6 to 9 months before there is any activity surrounding my book, so far as publishing goes. I just hope someone wants it. It certainly sounds promising...so far, my poor little book has met with nothing but support, but I'm sure there are going to be lots of rejections before I get a break.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.