Sunday, August 17, 2008

Home Again

I am back!
After an emotional goodbye to everyone at camp--I am serious, that was the hardest one yet. I was crying so hard. I had just gotten myself under control and was ready to get girls on my bus when Bill hugged me and told me I was his favorite. I had to then get on the bus to hide from everyone else, because I was done saying goodbyes. I couldn't take anymore.
After that I was so tired and burnt out from not sleeping very well and then crying really hard that I felt sick. I dropped off the girls and then had to wait for my car service to take me to Newark. My driver, when he finally showed up, was extremely interesting. His name was either Wally or Willy and he was a talker! He never stopped. And he was an erratic driver, so I felt like I was going to throw up. I finally had to close my eyes in the back.
I met up with Tanya, Erica, Heather, Lindsay, and Rachel in the airport and we all sat together until it was time for us to leave.
And then the fun REALLY began...
There was a tornado warning in Manhatten, so I was stuck at the airport for an extra 5 hours. My flight was supposed to leave Newark at 5, with an arrival to Minneapolis and then on to Great Falls. My flight didn't leave Newark until 10:30, which put me in Minneapolis at midnight. That meant I totally missed my connection. I had a complete breakdown in the airport. I was that emotional passenger, sobbing in the corner. I cried on the phone to my parents and then my brother called me. As soon as I heard his voice, I lost it. I couldn't even talk, I was crying so hard. He pretty much thought I had lost it. I was just so tired and the last thing I wanted was to spend the night in the airport.
I don't even remember the flight to Minneapolis. I do remember getting there and locating a spot for myself to sleep. I ended up at some random gate--C 5 or 6, I think--on a row of chairs with my cell phone plugged into the cell charger they thoughtfully provide. I ate some vending machine food and went to sleep at 2:30. At 6 I got up. I think I passed out at some point, but it sure wasn't restful. Every 20 minutes or so a security guard would ride past on one of those airport carts, some random television was turned on really loudly, and the lights were all on. Still, at least I was fairly safe.
My flight in the morning wasn't until 11, so I had to go check back in at the gate and go back through security. Then I bought some contact solution and fixed my contacts. I smelled bad, I could barely see, and I definitely looked like I had slept in an airport. Ah the joys of travel!
I got to fly First Class, probably the first and last time that will ever happen. I think I fell asleep before the plane took off. I remember sitting down and then I remember the plane landing.
I went to bed last night at 6:30 and got up this morning at 7.
I am so happy to be home.
As for my breakdown, I felt extremely dumb until I heard from Erica that she was stuck overnight in Chicago and she cried on the plane very loudly, and then Heather R. was stuck in Newark all night and she cried too. I think we were all feeling physically and emotionally exhausted from no sleep and having to say goodbye to our best friends.
I don't think I want to fly anytime soon. And I'm flying to Germany in 2 weeks. Great.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.