Sunday, June 15, 2008

CAAAAAAAMMMMMPPPP!!!!!!

I am here. I am here and I am tired, but that is another story.
It could also be that it is 11 and I've been up since 7:30 this morning. Ah, camp! The late nights, the early mornings...I have missed them so. That was partially sarcastic. Partially truth.
There is something in the air here that makes me not mind getting up at the crack of dawn after only 6 hours of sleep.
I must say, there are so many people who didn't come back this year! What a bummer. I miss them already. We do have lots of returners, though, as well as plenty new people. The new Leadership staffers just arrived today, and I was stationed on the porch of the Manor House with Pochy to welcome stragglers. We mainly talked and swatted flies--the flies are intense here! Gross. We did get to greet a couple people, though.
Icebreakers went well. I guess. They were new and different, so that is always a plus.
I should probably start with I arrived yesterday afternoon after a very uneventful trip down. Well, almost uneventful. I forgot that when I landed in Minneapolis, it was so windy that the plane landed sideways on the runway! And the pilot was trying to correct and we were just swaying violently back and forth at top speed. It was scary. There were a lot of screams. I think my heart stopped briefly. But here I am, so luckily the plane didn't roll and we didn't all die. Can planes roll? I don't know, but it felt like I was about to find out.
I have my own room, which is pretty sweet. Of course, living in the back of the Manor House is always a bit sketch--but I like it. It feels like camp to me. Being somewhere clean and carpeted would almost be too much for my system to take I think. I'm used to never taking off my shoes and to the smell of mildew and I don't know what else in the bathroom.
Jack digs it here too.
I need to go to bed. I'll write more later.
Oh, the best part?? I have cell service and internet in my room!!!!! No more hiking down to the Bunker on a regular basis. It pretty much rocks my socks.
Oh, and another great thing! Bill Widman came back today--he's the Director of the Bill Widman Gymnasium here on camp, and you might recall made me cry last year. Anyway, we got along really well all last summer after the crying incident and when he came in today he told me that I am one of his favorites! It made me smile sooooo big.
Ok, and I really do need to sign off. Good night and I'll write more later!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Have an awesome summer!!!! And we expect to see you at some point ;)

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.