Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Changes and Similarities

I was told that I would be the Lower Junior GL once again this year--in fact, pretty much from the get-go I was informed that there was a problem camper or a problem bunk and they wanted me to be there. It was a warning, but I was happy with it because I do know what I'm doing. I know the position of Lower Junior GL very well. Hearing I would have potential problems was not a good thing, but you know, it goes with the territory.
Then minutes before we were to head up and hear our age group assignments and our co-GLs, I was paged to the office and informed that they have the biggest group of Upper Juniors they have ever had, and would I consent to becoming an Upper Junior GL. Those are my girls from last summer, so of course I said yes. I loved my girls. They were great.
It does mean, however, that I have 40 girls--in my 3 cabins alone. My co's name is Kara and this is her first summer at camp. That means that I have my 40 girls, and potentially her 23 girls. But going over the list and seeing that I know all of them was amazing. I won't have to freak out about not knowing the girls this summer for the first time! That is pretty great.
I am a wee bit unsure about my co this summer, but I was last summer too, and Jenny Caine was amazing. Except Kara is incredibly serious and we have a completely different sense of humor. I don't envision her wanting to be silly with me like both of my co's in the past have been--Heather D and Jenny Caine. However, I am going to keep an open mind and we'll see how things go.
I have been incredibly lucky in my co-GLs in the past. Either I will be again, or it will be not so wonderful and I'll still survive and work through it.
I do dig all the other GLs in our group. Very cool group of girls. I get along and can have a conversation with them all, which I couldn't say about last year or the year before.
Gary Brown is back and he still calls me Jessie James, which makes me smile. We had a meeting this morning with Bill about the gymnastics proceedings this summer and he informed all the newbies to go ask me how I handle him, because I am able to do it very well. Normally he tells everyone to go ask Marjori because she handles him well, but this time it was me. That made me smile. My advice was not to be afraid of Bill. I told them the story about him making me cry just to let them know that he didn't always like me.
It has been freeeeeezzzzing here. Like sweatshirts and jeans during the day and full-on winter PJs at night freezing. With lots of rain. However, that will change as the summer progresses.
I am already tired of meetings, but we are getting through those slowly but steadily.
Last night I went out for the Ice Cream Cottage with a group and then we headed back to the health center lounge to play Taboo. My word was Flannel and Ashley was sitting next to me so I used her as an example--saying it was something Ashley wears to bed at night. One of the tennis boys pipes up with "A doo-rag!" It was hilarious. I guess you have to have been there. Ashley told him that it was a good thing she was so comfortable with the race card.
I better sign off. We don't have to be anywhere until 2 but I would like to relax before I have to leave.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.