Tuesday, September 09, 2008

General Impressions

I do not like the water here. Everyone drinks mineral, sparkling, bubbly, or whatever you want to call it. I prefer plain old, non-mineral, non-sparkling, quiet water. I just don't like the taste of the other. So now everywhere we go there is a bottle filled with tap water for me. I get strange looks whenever I say I don't want bubbles in my water, but oh well.
The roads here are small. One lane at best. And sometimes the roads make me carsick, which never happens back in America. Back home I can read in the car all the time. Here, I would be puking within seconds. Here, unless I'm in the front seat I get slightly green around the edges.
The cars here are small. I love the teeny tiny little Bozo cars--I think they call them Smart cars. I would love to drive one.
I have also discovered that not knowing the language is a pain in the butt! I know how to say danke and bitte, but sometimes when I am confronted with someone speaking German--say a cashier--my mind freezes up and I totally want to speak Spanish! I never realized how much of that I actually learned until I was here. Crazy, huh? Especially since I am not even in a remotely Spanish speaking country! And yet, all these Spanish phrases come to mind and I realize that I can say more than I realized. Perhaps it is time to dust off the Spanish vocab books and get back into that.
I'll write more tomorrow. We just got home and I'm going to have a bowl of cereal--oats and chocolate, what more could you ask for? And then I'm going to bed! Gute Nacht! Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.