Saturday, September 06, 2008

Spoon Artist And Spoon Pirate On The Horizon

I have finally found my calling!
We went to this open air museum in Hagen--I think that's the name of the town--Kat will tell me if I'm wrong. :)
Anyway, it was this enormous village type thing dedicated to how people lived way-back-when. Some of the buildings were already there and some have been moved in since. They have people who recreate the old trades and make their own horseshoes and other metals, old printing presses, an old brewery, shoes, etc. And spoons! Yes, spoons made from wood, along with other eating utensils.
It is on a HUGE area of ground, so we walked and walked and walked and got tired about 3/4s of the way through, but we pushed on. I took many pictures before losing interest in old metal instruments and huge fireplaces. I did really dig the architecture, though. And the area was pretty beautiful. I really wanted to slide down the big overspill thingie, but since it was out of bounds I figured I would get us kicked out before I had a chance to buy a wooden spoon! I refrained.
The one place I wanted to see was the spoon building area, and it was this tiny little workshop in the back of where they make wooden clog type shoes. I fell in love! It was amazing. I wish there had been someone inside, making spoons, but apparently that is now a lost art. Wooden spoons and utensils don't hold up real well in dishwashers, you know. Bummer. I think I need to resurrect the art of the perfect spoon from wood. I learned that they used to ship the spoons and utensils all over--which means I could also be a Spoon Pirate! I could sell my spoons, ship them off, and steal them back! More profit for me...
I went to the gift shop to buy a genuine wooden spoon and--no bueno--they don't sell genuine, hand-crafted, wooden spoons. They did sell a genuine hand-made teeny-tiny scoop for flour or something, so I had to content myself with that. Now do you see the need for my new hobby? I could be selling these things to tourists for 10 euro a spoon! And in return, they wouldn't have to be disallusioned like I was! Amazing spoons and other utensils! If I had been born back then, this is what I would have done! Just think, I could have been the one to invent the spork.Where the spoons and other utensils are actually constructed...be careful not to lose a thumb, as that is probably the biggest deterrent facing spoon-makers.

I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell! This is where they made their own cowbells. It was their own little cowbell forge...This tunnel was pretty cool. It was built for midgets, though...I had to bend almost over in some places.

Anyway, we are leaving here in the morning--back to Carlsburg to stay with Kat's dad and step-mom again for the week.
We have been going shopping and the only thing I have purchased is that lame-o wooden scoop! We have big plans for shopping in Mannheim, though. I also need to hit the English sections of the bookstores because I did not pack enough books!

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.