Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Lightning Strikes

Last night we had a humdinger of a storm--there was a high wind warning, a golf-ball size hail warning, and severe thunderstorm warning. I had last night off and had just barely made it out of the dining hall when the heavens opened up. I was stuck in 22 by myself while everyone else was stuck in the dining hall--with 300 kids, lucky them! Anyway, I had just closed all the windows and was listening to it downpour outside (it sounded like a waterfall), when there was this sizzling noise followed by a BOOM so intense I could feel it in my bones. It hurt my ears and the whole bunk felt like it was shaking. You've heard it described as a thunderclap before? This was just like a giant hand had clapped next to my ears. I'm pretty sure either the building got hit or right outside got hit. And of course I'm the only one in the bunk. I called my parents and Dad asked if I felt anything, but all I felt was the soundwave afterwards. It was kind of cool. And now the topic of lightning fascinates me. Getting struck would suck, but Brandt told me that once you fall down your heart will restart from the jolt of falling. Good to know.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.