Sunday, August 05, 2007

Emotional

I don't recall becoming sad about camp being over until maybe the night before camp and definitely the morning we were all waiting to board buses in the dining hall on the day itself. I remember feeling impatient for the time to go by and thinking of the mountain of stuff we had to do and thinking we'd never get it finished. I even remember feeling tired and stressed about everything leading up to the last day of camp.
Today we had a meeting in the g'zab with all the GLs and Jane and Nancy. It started out by being just last minute packing stuff, what to do and what not, etc. Then we went around and said one thing we all felt that we'd done this summer that made us feel fulfilled as a GL and something about the summer that made it great for us. Oh man. It started off well--but by the end, we were all bawling. There wasn't a dry eye in the circle, except Jane. It was amazing to hear the emotion in everyone's voices. That is one thing I love about Bryn Mawr and this job--you can't help but be affected by it, in some way.
I looked around the circle, at all these girls I have come to respect and love, and it was overwhelming. That is why I come back to Bryn Mawr, and why I am coming back next summer and as many summers after until I feel as though I need to move on. This is where I need to be right now, in my life. I am learning so much, whether it be about working with children or just communication and relationship skills with my own peers.
Anyway, Charlotte called me her camp daughter and made me cry even more, because she was crying when she said it. We all knew we had each other's backs this summer, and that created a bond so powerful. It was a beautiful moment, realizing that our summers were amazing and that we were all responsible for making them so wonderful for each other.
It definitely made my day. Afterwards I felt kind of drained, like all I wanted to do was sleep. I guess because of such an intense outburst of emotion. It started early for us all this summer! I am just going to work hard at making this last 5 days fun and as relaxing as I can. It is the time to let things go and to end on a good note, to push through and really finish as strong as I started. And hopefully many of the people I worked with this summer will be back for the next one.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.