Monday, August 13, 2007

Riding a Horse

I went trail riding with Heather and her brother Nathaniel yesterday. It was so much fun. The place was in Tioga County, down in PA, so we drove about an hour and a half to get there. It was a very mom-and-popish establishment, but this being the first time I have sat a horse in years, that was ok with me. The horses were so trail-trained that you couldn't get them to go the wrong way even if you tried, which I have to admit, I did. I wanted a big horse--they had some huge ones--and I didn't want to get stuck in the back. Guess who got the smallest horse and was very firmly in the rear?
But my horse--Izzy was her name--and I got along very well together in the back, and we kept it interesting. I loved it! It was an hour long ride, but my butt wasn't sore at all. In fact, riding a horse improves your posture! The only thing that hurt was my knee joints, probably because my stirrups were too short and my legs were cocked at an angle. And Izzy didn't even bang my legs into too many trees, for which I was greatly appreciative. I let her eat a lot more on the way for that alone.
Heather rode a white horse named Sugar and she was slower than molasses. Nathaniel was on a horse named Shotgun who would only allow men to ride him. We had fun in the back, mostly teasing Heather to get her horse to hurry it up. But we got to trot a bit--the horses were so close together the trotting wasn't very long.
I enjoyed it. I want to ride more when I get home. How ironic that the first time I ride a horse in years would be in PA, when I live in MT and spent the last 7 months in WY!
This morning Heather and I picked blueberries with her grandma. It was quite relaxing. I have never picked blueberries before, probably because to my knowledge, we don't have them in MT. Huckleberries, yes. Blueberries are much sweeter when picked directly from the tree.
Two more days!

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.