Monday, June 18, 2007

Frogs and Snakes

I forgot to tell everyone my running story from 3 days ago. I was kinda looking over my shoulder at this 3-wheeler roaring by--it was kicking up rocks and I didn't want to get pelted with something. When I turned my attention back to the road in front of me, I realized I was almost ready to step onto a snake. Yep. And I'm sure you all know how I feel about snakes in general, but when one is in the middle of my stride, I am even less happy. I ended up doing this awkward hop/kick/jump thing over it, and I had the irrational fear the stupid thing was going to leap up and bite me in the leg on the way over, so I made it a high hop/kick/jump thing. I did not land prettily on the other end. My knee has been a wee bit sore because of that, but no swelling, so I'm going to keep on being positive! Anyway, the snake was tiny--the smallest one I've ever seen--but most definitely a snake, and all red and black diamond-patterned. Who knows what it was; I'm no snake expert. It did make my run a little bit more memorable.
And then last night, as I was leaving the bunker, I happened to look down and saw a frog. It was dark and hard to see, and the frog was trying to go in the same direction I was to avoid it, and in all the confusion, it ended up grabbing onto my leg. So I was hopping around trying to dislodge it, because, to be honest, it kinda freaked me out. I am not scared of frogs, but when one suction-cups itself to the back of my leg, well, I did lose my head. And Peter drove by in the golf cart and asked me why I was doing such a creative dance. "I have a frog stuck to my leg, Peter!" I finally got the little thing unattached and was trying to pick it up to transport it back down to the lake, but it wouldn't stay in my hand. It was a rather large frog, and felt very slimy on the back of my leg.
So, my adventures with reptiles and amphibians has been great thus far!

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.