Thursday, July 24, 2008

NYC

Union Square, with the Empire State Building in the background
South Street Seaport and I'm in love with big boats. I think that is what I want to do next: become a pirate or a captain.
More random NYC skyline shots.

New York City was amazing. And also crowded, dirty, overwhelming, hot, intense, fascinating, fun, and I'm running out of adjectives. I had fun. We walked 10 miles in the course of our day, even though we rode the subway almost everywhere and took a taxi once. Big place.
We had Nancy and Matt Everett, who was at camp my first summer, as our tour guides. That was good, because they are both true New Yorkers, so we got to see places that tourists don't. We ate at this amazing restaurant called the Saigon Grill for dinner--the best food I have ever eaten, I think. We went to a Broadway play--we saw Avenue Q, which was a parody of Sesame Street and was freakin' hilarious. There is this smell that New York City has--I would describe it as a blend of gross, dirty washing machine smell mixed with garbage. The subways are soooooo hot and muggy. We left at 10:30 or thereabouts, which means we rolled into camp about 1:20. The morning wakeup was a fun one, let me tell you. Although because it was late sleep I got about as much sleep as I would normally get, so I was ok the next day. I want to take my family back there and see some more stuff. We did get to walk down Wall Street, which was pretty cool and intense. Very narrow and all these people in power suits speed-walking through. The Brooklyn Bridge was cool. The George Washington Bridge was cooler. The Lincoln Tunnel gave me a carbon monoxide headache. The entire time I was thinking of all the movies I have seen featuring New York City and all the landmarks I recognize that are completely different when you're viewing them in person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well for me its better to be more realistic.

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.