Friday, July 04, 2008

Sad News

One of the things I do a lot of the first week of camp is deal with the homesick campers. I only had 3 this year, compared to the 10 last summer, which is definitely one advantage of my girls being one year older. Also, on a side-note, I have finally found the group of girls that I would like to move up with into Senior Camp. I doubt I will be allowed to, but I would totally dig it. I love this group of girls!
Anyway, back on topic.
I have been really dealing with one girl in particular who has been struggling with homesickness. We are talking crying 85% of the day, everyday. She's very intelligent, very articulate, and can be reasoned with--and has become attached to me. Still, it has been very time and energy consuming for me and for Jane and Nancy.
Last night she went home.
It was sad, but for the best, I think. She was trying to cope with her parents' divorce and her head was not here, no matter what we tried to do. I doubt her crying would have ever stopped.
I feel...a bit lighter, without that occupying my time now, but very sad. She was a sweet kid and I liked her.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.