Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Unlucky Day At Skinners

Today was a day off for all the GLs because the girls were at Dorney Park. It started off well enough. We got up early and waved the buses out of camp and then went to b'fast at the Trackside Grill. Then we picked up some lunches and headed out to Skinners Falls for some relaxation and swimming. It was a beastly hot day today, but we all had plenty of fluids and sunscreen.
We had just arrived and were in the process of walking across some rocks to find a spot to sit down. I heard something fall so I turned around and saw Tanya sprawled face-down on the rocks. She totally twisted her ankle--but it wasn't really her ankle, it was the top of her foot and it immediately started to swell like a balloon. I have never seen something swell up that fast--so the thought was that it was broken. We had just gotten Tanya settled on the ground with her foot in the cold water when I heard a commotion from behind me.
There were about 10 of us at Skinners at this point, but another group was just arriving. I couldn't see too well, just enough to assume someone else had fallen down. Then Danielle started yelling for someone to call 911. I ran over and saw Heather Rutledge had passed out and hit her head on a rock. This was literally like 4 minutes after Tanya fell.
Luckily, some guy walking past was a paramedic, so he came over and checked them both out for us and recommended that we get them out of the sun and to the ER. We had a time convincing Heather that she should go, but Tanya was perfectly ok with checking out her foot. It was massive and the paramedic said he thought it might be broken. So we loaded them up and Danielle, Jess Resnick, and myself took the two injured to the Wayne County Hospital, where we sat for almost 4 hours.
Tanya lucked out and does not have a broken foot. It is severly sprained and she needs to be on crutches for about 3 to 5 days. Heathe is ok as well. She was checked out by the camp doctor, as she still refused to see the doctors at the ER.
I am feeling extremely drained right now. I need to go to sleep.
When we got back, Jane told us that no one was allowed to go to Skinners anymore. I think I concur.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.