Sunday, June 14, 2009

F*** Personal Growth

The above title is how I feel currently. Just know that it is mostly a facetious statement. However much I find it amusing--Heather D. and I had a good laugh about it last night--I do recognize the importance of personal growth in my own life and I do, albeit grudgingly, appreciate the fact that I have so much opportunity every summer to achieve it.

That being said, let me explain the reason behind the comment.

GLs received age group assignments and co's last night. I was fully expecting to get Upper Juniors, and no surprise there, I did. I haven't had these girls yet and I'm a tad bit nervous about how they are going to be...there are a few girls I remember from last year as being difficult. My co GL, however, was a surprise and only partially what prompted the title. It feels like every summer I have been here--with the exception of my first summer with Heather D.--that I have been paired with someone that I have zero in common with and someone I am flat-out apprehensive about working with. It isn't like we only see each in passing once or twice a day. We are pretty much non-stop together, so you can see how working with someone you have nothing in common with would be a challenge. And yet again, this person is someone I have little or nothing in common with and someone who approaches life and her position as a GL completely different than me. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Last night wasn't the brightest for me, hence why Heather D. and I came up with the 'f*** personal growth' thing.

I slept on it and am feeling much more up to the challenge this morning. I met with Marjori and told her that I can do it and I'm not even really that worried about doing it. Is she the person I would have chosen? No. That being said, perhaps this summer will end up better than last summer--I got along fine with my co from last summer, but things didn't end up the way I would have liked with the girls in the end. They were all attached to me and made my life double as hard.

Taking a deep breath. And let the personal growth begin. (Sorry about taking your name in vain, personal growth.)

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.