Monday, June 01, 2009

Machine Guns

I went with Dan to the machine gun shoot here in Casper--well, actually it was outside of Casper by about half an hour, in the middle of nowhere, but that is understandable. The whole gist of the idea is to be able to shoot whatever kind of big gun you want. However, the prices? Not so great. You could spend 40 bucks to shoot one round of something. Yikes. I chose to just watch and keep my money. Dan shot a few things by haggling them down a little, but they weren't keen on the idea of haggling much. The .50 caliber was amazing! It felt like a huge explosion of air whenever it would go off. And then everytime one of them would go offyou off you could feel it in your stomach. It was cool. We watched some random guy sniping prairie dogs with a spotter and an enormous silencer on the end. Poor prairie dogs, to end up living in the field where the targets were set up. I really enjoyed seeing the tracers from the .50 flying way the heck over the field--like over 1000 yards or so, I think. We also got a good lesson from the Fort Casper reenactor guys with the cannon. At one point they showed us a real charge they had found in Fort Sumter. The guy said they didn't know if it was live or not, so they backed up and shot it with something! I was thinking, geez, no matter it's historic. It was hilarious, though, that the first response for them was to shoot it with something. Anyway, I got some sun and broke in my new Chacos--dust and dirt, yeah!--and got to see some very cool guns in action. That hobby is too expensive for me.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.