Thursday, July 19, 2007

Camp Out

The first camp out for my girls happened last night, and I was all set for pandemonium, like last year's debacle. To set the stage, therefore, I pretty much laid down the law: they were going to go to the campfire, they were going to sleep out in the tents, and there was not going to be any complaints or tears about it, or we would have some consequences. It worked. They went, they sucked it up, and they didn't give me or any of their counselors grief about it. I was the only one on last night, so I had all 5 lower jr bunks. After I had the other 3 settled, I went down to the 2 at the campfire and made sure they were all settled and not crying or carrying on. All was well. It was even peaceful enough that I got a chance to watch the stars a little bit on my walk. There were fireflies zipping around the tops of the trees, and it was so amazing to look up between the spaces of leaves and see firefly flickers and far beyond them the familiar presence of the stars. All in all, I was happy with not having hysterical campers.
Today we are on rainy day schedule. It is pouring and looks to be so all day. I am rather content with that, to be honest. I've got my rain coat and my rain boots on. We also need the rain. Our water-table is so low that we can't have Aquarama this summer. We are approaching the draught stage very quickly. It hasn't been that humid, for which I am thankful. I am also slowly getting my voice back.

No comments:

My zany adventures anywhere and everywhere.